Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Not the Man I thought He Was

Haha that is a goofy subject for an email but it is true!

Remember how I said that Elder Peterson is kind of quiet, reserved, doesn't talk much... do not believe it! If you ever meet Spencer Peterson, do not be fooled. He is quietly hilarious! He is such a prankster and has some of the most fire comebacks I have ever heard!!
Elder Brown, Johnson, and Peterson
For the record, I say this in the Utmost love and appreciation. Elders Peterson and Johnson are hilarious and awesome and they keep me laughing!

They do some of the silliest and dumbest things. Elder Peterson just randomly took a plastic knife and began "planting" it in people's pockets, so they would later realize and be very confused. Now our whole zone seems to be doing it, haha! It sounds dumb, but it can be so funny! The other day at dinner, I was still eating and they were done, so Elder Peterson reandomly challenges Elder Johnson to drink a spoonful of Tobasco sauce with him, so they did. Then Elder Peterson takes another , so elder Johnson does too and in the end they had drunk a new bottle of tobasco with Peterson drinking nine spoonfuls and Johnson seven. They are crazy - and we laugh so much!
 
Haha I really love our district!!

This has been a great week! We actually do get to host tomorrow and I am so excited for Elder Craig and Elder Nelson and some other friends from school!! So fun!!!

The language is coming!! I accidentally volunteered to teach the district about verb prefixes of the Indonesian language- in Indonesian. It actually went really well and I was surprised at how much I could say... which is Ironic because I didn't understand Brother Rawle when he asked for volunteers haha. But the language is coming- teaching our investigators is still very hard and frustrating but we're always improving!! God definitely has our backs and is helping us every step of the way!!

Eating the Pringles from the Package
TRC (teaching resource center) is awesome!! It's where different people who speak Indonesian come and we teach them as themselves for twenty minute lessons. We taught one of my friend's older sister and a missionary who had returned three weeks prior. It was so fun!! I got to recite Joseph Smith's own words about his vision of Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father in Indonesian... That was great!! We also got to watch the Joseph Smith movie on Sunday, so between those two things, my testimony that Joseph Smith was truly called as a prophet of God and that the Book of Mormon is true has grown tremendously.

My testimony is growing in a lot of ways!! I really have a strengthened testimony of Faith. I am so imperfect and I make so many mistakes and there are so many things that I just wish I could do, but I can't... at least not alone. I have learned so many times these last three weeks that with heavenly Father I CAN do all things! I have seen that the more I depend on Him, trust in Him and have faith in Him, the better I can learn, teach, speak and so many other things. Christ wants us to come to him with humility, with the understanding that we need him and he will endow us with power from on high as we strive to do his work! So often I feel that I am prepared and that I can do these things on my own and I realize I can't, and even when I can, the Lord can help me do it so much better!!
Some Crazy Long Indonesian words
I had the opportunity to teach Priesthood meeting about the ordinances of Baptism and the Gift of the Holy Ghost (I love that gift) and the Spirit was there teaching within me! I knew that I felt the Spirit and I learned! After, I had to realize that the lesson was in no way due to me, but that all credit was to the Lord for sending his spirit to teach and testify to us! I was so grateful for that experience to learn about how much more powerful anything I do is when I have the Spirit and the help of God. It is still a lot harder in Indonesian but I am striving to get there!!
The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real!! And he can change us if we come unto him in humility and faith!!

Iman!!!! That's Indonesian for faith!!

Indonesian word for the week - Wadu!! it means "wow" - it's fun to say :)

Mom, I was so incredibly gratefdul for your package!! and your letter!! They meant so much for me! The messages on it were awesome!!! The food was great, but I LOVED our family picture - thank you so much!!! The only downside is that now, all the Elders on my floor seem to want to marry Stephanie! SO sorry for Pat - I'm praying he'll get his things back.

We had two good friends- Elder Staheli and Ray leave for Vietnam yesterday!! We'll miss them and we were all jealoud that they were going. Can't wait to get out there!!
 


I love you so much family and friends!! I pray for you everyday!
This gospel is true! can't wait for Indonesia!!
Love you,

Elder Trevor Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment